The UTIA Safety Office promotes a safe and healthful work and academic environment at the Institute of Agriculture. The program is developed in accordance with Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Act (TOSHA); The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC); and other standards and codes promoting occupational health, safety and environmental stewardship.
The services of the Safety Office include the following:
- Evaluate workplace hazards related to chemical exposures, air quality, ergonomics, and accident investigations.
- Support and promote laboratory safety initiatives, including lab inspections, chemical hazard evaluations, the UTIA chemical hygiene plan template, and helping labs implement best practices for using and storing hazardous chemicals.
- Annual fume hood testing and chemical inventory updates.
- Assistance in developing policies, procedures and written plans related to EHS in compliance with local, state and federal agencies.
- Annual safety, occupational health and environmental protection inspections of all UTIA facilities.
- Support emergency preparedness by facilitating Emergency Management programs implementation, monthly tests on AEDs, and annual updates to the Ag Campus Emergency Response Plan.
- Hazardous waste disposal and waste management consultation.